I cannot play the recording of the successfull search I made

Moderators: Leon van Heerden, Luanda_Junzi

I cannot play the recording of the successfull search I made

Postby Belinda Frick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:22 am

Overview:

ONYX is a standalone voice recorder. It was written for use on a standalone PC.

The ONYX database is the ListingFile.lst. This is found in the data folder where all the 'gsc files' is stored per day of the year folder. The filepath to access the recording is stored in the 'listings.lst 'file.

If you change the 'recording path' to a network location, the 'listingfile.lst' will be written to that location. The recordings will be saved in that folder under the day of the year folder that it was made on (according to PC date).

If the 'recording path' was changed at some point after the initial settings and the changed back on one of the ONYX PC's, the gsc files created during that date range will be saved in the folder it was pointing to. This file path will also be written to the listingfile.lst.

Therefore it will try and access that file path when trying to playback the recording. If this file path only exist on the individual PC, you will get this error, because it cannot find that file location on the central PC.

The same will apply for a scenario on a standalone PC where you changed the recording path and/or moved the recordings to a different location. The physical recording file is not in the location that the database expect it to be.

ONYX 2 will save recordings by default to
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Datatex\Onyx\{Windows user login name}

It will write out a folder with the current date as folder name and the GSC files(encrypted recordings) will be saved in the date folder. When you searched for a recording and click on play, this is the location where it expects to find the recording file. You can look at the error message to see the file path. Navigate to this file path and check that the GSC file name displayed is present in this file path. You can search the entire C drive to see if in a different location.

ONYX 2 expects the date folders with the GSC files inside the folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Datatex\Onyx\{Windows user login name}

In this folder you must have the 'listings.lst' file.

If the recording is the correct folder structure, it might be that the listings.lst file is corrupted. You can request a re-index program for it from 'support@datatex.co.za'.
Belinda Frick

Return to Support Archive's (ONYX)